CALL FOR PhD AND MSc. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS: STOCK ASSESSMENT, NUTRITION, POST-HARVEST HANDLING, SOCIO-ECONOMICS AND GENDER IN FISHERIES (2019-2022)
The Department of Zoology, Entomology and Fisheries Sciences (ZEFs), College of Natural Sciences (CoNAS), Makerere University is partnering with the National Fisheries Resources Research Institute (NaFIRRI) of the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO), McGill University, Canada and NUTREAL Limited to implement a 3-year multidisciplinary project focusing on “Harnessing dietary nutrients of under-utilised fish and fish processing by-products to reducing micronutrient deficiencies among vulnerable groups in Uganda” – NutriFish. The overall aim of NutriFish is to increase availability, accessibility and consumption of under-utilized small fishes and fish processing by-products for sustainable food and nutrition security and improved livelihoods through a Public Private Partnership (PPP). Through this project, researchers will devise ways to reduce losses and increase product quality and acceptability, as well as improve distribution of fish and fish-based products among populations living far from water bodies.
- The scholarships
As part of the NutriFish capacity building component, we are inviting applications for the following scholarships tenable at Makerere University:
PhD Zoology (Research areas: Fish Stock Assessment and Nutrition)
MSc. Zoology (Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences), Research areas: Fish Stock Assessment; Fisheries Socio-economics; Gender in Fisheries; Fish Post-harvest Handling; and Fish value Chain.
- Scholarship Benefits
The scholarship will support successful applicants with tuition, research costs, and modest monthly stipend. The applicants must therefore demonstrate willingness to be full-time students based at Makerere University. For MSc., support is available to applicants who have completed coursework and also those admitted to start coursework in the 2019/2020 Academic Year.
- Eligibility Criteria
The scholarships are open to all eligible Ugandans. Applications from suitably qualified females are particularly encouraged
The salient attributes we are looking for are as follows:
- a) PhD Zoology (Research focus: Fish Stock Assessment)
- Must hold an MSc. in the areas of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Natural Resources Ecology, Management and Conservation, or related fields from a recognized University.
- Additional training in Fish Stock Assessment will be an added advantage.
- Experience in conducting stock assessment will be valuable.
- b) PhD Zoology (Research focus: Nutrition)
- Must hold an MSc. in the areas of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; Natural Resources Ecology, Management and Conservation; Human Nutrition or related fields from a recognized University.
- Previous working experience in an accredited laboratory will be an added advantage.
- Experience in working with vulnerable communities and undertaking household surveys will be valuable.
- c) MSc. Zoology (Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences) applicants
- Should hold a Bachelor’s Degree (Upper Second) from a reputable University in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- Should demonstrate interest and capability to work in the specified areas above.
- Should have completed coursework or already be admitted to Makerere University for the 2019/2020 Academic Year on full-time basis.
- Should be ready to undertake coursework studies/research activities in the respective areas and complete within 1-2 years.
The application package should include:
- A one-page motivation letter
- A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages) indicating contacts of 2 referees
- Copies of certified academic documents
- Evidence of admission to Makerere University (MSc. only)
- A recommendation letter from two academic referees (1 page)
- A brief concept (PhD applicants only)
Applications should be compiled into one single pdf document and sent electronically to Dr. Jackson Efitre (email@example.com), copied to Dr. Robinson Odong (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Eric Sande (email@example.com) and Dr. Anthony Taabu-Munyaho (firstname.lastname@example.org ) by 27th July 2019 at 5.00 PM East African Time.
Download the complete Scholarship callNutriFish PhD and MSc. Scholarship advert_final
Note: All students will be expected to work with the interdisciplinary NutriFish research team.
Incomplete applications will NOT be assessed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.