Vacancy: Project Manager Research Management
Deadline by 17:00 on Friday, 26 August 2016.
SARIMA is an association of Research and Innovation Managers that operates at an institutional, national and international level, as well as across the value chain. The purpose of the association is to promote research and innovation management for the benefit of southern Africa. Research Management (RM) is a key strategic focus area for SARIMA and numerous activities and projects undertaken by the Research Management portfolio, in co-ordination with the Innovation and Technology Transfer and Africa Engagement portfolios.
SARIMA requires the services of a part-time Project Manager to co-ordinate, facilitate and implement activities and projects for the Research Management Portfolio.
The Project Manager’s duties will include:
- Wide consultation and liaison at national level with stakeholders and organisations
- Liaison with international partners and stakeholders on RM initiatives
- Planning and implementation of RM Portfolio activities
- Drawing up of documentation (e.g. concept notes, guidelines, toolkits, etc.) as part of deliverables on the RM Portfolio’s projects
- Driving the implementation of, and monitoring outcomes from, professional development and networking initiatives of the RM Portfolio, including facilitation and development of training material
- Identification and initiation of new projects in support of the RM Portfolio’s strategic plans
- Project management, management of budgets and liaison with funders
- Drafting funding related applications and proposals (inclusive of budget preparation)
- Development of reports to funders or other stakeholders on projects and initiatives, in consultation with the RM I&TT Portfolio members
- Facilitation of workshops, courses, etc., making presentations for promotion and/or training purposes.
- Updating of the RM section of the SARIMA website
- Development of information resources on RM
- Promoting the RM Portfolio activities of members through newsletters, social media, etc.
- Providing professional support to the SARMA Committee and the RM Portfolio
These functions need to be performed in close conjunction with especially the Vice-President RM, as well as the broader SARIMA Committee and SARIMA staff. The Project Manager may not serve SARIMA in any other capacity (such as a member of the Committee).
The successful candidate should have a post-graduate degree with at least 5 years’ post qualification working experience, of which a significant portion should ideally be in a RM environment. Furthermore the candidate should:
- Be a proven self-starter who can motivate him/herself and be able to take initiative
- Be a strong team-player and have extensive experience in high-level liaison, consultation to achieve outcomes, networking, and experience in managing complex projects.
- Be able and willing to deal with a wide range of stakeholders and individuals, including senior academics and senior management from industry, government, etc.
- Have a proven ability to take responsibility for conducting activities and ensuring meeting of contractual deliverables for Research Management and where required, other projects
- Be able to work within the context of a committee arrangement, viz. answerable to multiple people dependent on tasks being conducted
- Have excellent English communication skills (both spoken and written)
The position is a part-time contract position, requiring a minimum of 20 hours per week, initially for one year, renewable dependent on the availability of funding and on the performance of the incumbent. Salary will be negotiated and is market related. The starting date is 1 October 2016.
The project manager may make use of the SARIMA office in Pretoria but will preferably work from home.
Applications, in the form of a CV and letter outlining relevant experience and background, why the incumbent believes he/she is suited to the position, and three referees, should be e-mailed to:
The Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Friday, 26 August 2016.
Late applications will not be considered. Short listed candidates should avail themselves for interviews in Gauteng during August/September 2016.
Enquiries: Ms Corline Kriel +27 12 841 3329, email@example.com
SARIMA retains the right to decide against making an appointment should a suitable candidate not be identified. Correspondence will be conducted with shortlisted candidates only.