Job Opportunity: Director, Afromontane Research Unit (Contract appointment: 5 years)
Closing date: 22 January 2016.
Directorate of Research Development
Director: Afromontane Research Unit (Contract appointment: 5 years)
Job ID: 1418
Salary/Salaris: R 539 148,00 – R 649 041,00
Total rem. package/ Totale verg. pakket: R 730 203,68 – R 868 528.26
Duties and responsibilities:
- Establish the Afromontane Research Unit (ARU) as a flagship research unit at the QwaQwa campus of the University of the Free State.
- Lead and mentor a multidisciplinary team of young and experienced researchers, support staff, student assistants and post-Doctoral Fellows.
- Initiate new, especially large and long term research and development projects in Afromontane research.
- Establish and strengthen collaborative networks with peer researchers and other research and development institutions.
- Develop innovative ways to raise funds for planned and current research and development projects.
- Supervise post graduate students.
- Improve the quality and quantity of research of the ARU.
- Oversee and take responsibility for both human and financial resources of the ARU.
- A doctoral degree or equivalent academic qualification in the sciences or humanities and social sciences.
- Extended experience in research and research management.
- An established scholar with a sustained record of research outputs and post graduate supervision.
- Additional qualifications and/or experience in management.
Term of office:
- Five (5) years, with the possibility of reappointment for a further term.
Assumption of duties:
As soon as possible.
22 January 2016.
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9962/3934.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications may only be submitted online. Refer to:
All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- a detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter;
- copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- a copy of your identity document (ID).
Applications that are incomplete, sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.